This is a standby recipe that always seems to make it’s way through the rotation at our house during the cold fall and winter months. I know as my mom reads this post she will think of me when I was little and trying to eat my Sloppy Joe. You see, I wanted to eat it like a sandwich or even a Manwich, and pick it up instead of eating it with a fork. Of course holding it like a burger or a sandwich was not going to work, I was quickly in tears! Yup! My mom still brings that up to embarrass me.
source: Family recipe
1 lb lean Ground Beef
1 small onion chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
1 small bottle Ketchup
1 TB Dry Mustard
2 TB Vinegar
4 TB Sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Brown beef in frying pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drain off all fat.
2. In medium sauce pan, heat ketchup, add onion, green pepper, mustard, sugar and vinegar.
3. After pouring the ketchup into the pan, fill bottle half-full with water then pour into pan.
4. Then add hamburger and mix thoroughly.
5. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes, or until the onion and green pepper is done.
Taste as it cooks. You may want to add more vinegar or sugar.
Serve with warm hamburger buns.