This recipe has been talked about for a while on one of the websites I frequent, the nest, and the cooking board called What’s Cooking. I love lasagna. I love my mom’s lasagna more though. This recipe won’t ever replace hers, but it is good. Her recipe came from a cookbook that a nursing home put together with recipes from their residents. What a neat idea! Lasagna is also something that has become the tradition for our family to have on Christmas Eve.
My whole purpose in making this dish tonight was so that I wouldn’t heat up the house! Ha! I think that would have been a great idea! It is still raining here in Seattle! It was nice to have dinner done by 2, that way I didn’t have to think about it. I also should have made this if we had company. I guess we’ll be having leftovers or I’ll be freezing some for later! As you can tell from the pictures, the lasagna is hard to cut out of the crock pot. I had much better luck getting it out of the pan when I was transferring it to dishes for leftovers and freezing, it figures!! Like I mentioned in my pesto post, there are plenty of recipes out there, so choose one that appeals to you. I made a few changes to the recipe, my changes are in red. In the future I might consider using sauce and paste with Italian seasoning.
Here’s a view into the Crock Pot from the top.
Crock Pot Lasagna
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed (I minced mine)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce ( I used more)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces cottage cheese (we like 2%) ( I used 16 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or asiago cheese (I used a bit more)
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked (I used the no boil noodles)
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning mix
- Spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in frypan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
- Cook long enough to get it warm.
- Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
- Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.