If you read the post about my Farmer’s Market finds you saw those two gigantic zucchini’s that I bought this weekend. I didn’t want them to go bad so I put them in the food processor and ended up with 5 quarts of shredded zucchini! Holy cow! What am I going to do with all that? I thumbed through a cookbook that my friend Becca gave to me for Christmas many years ago. I came across this recipe and had to try it. Since I had so much zucchini I decided to double the recipe.
Lemon Glazed Zucchini Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 TB Baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp grated lemon zest
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts ( I used pecans)
1/2 cup dried fruit bits or golden raisins ( I used craisins)
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup zucchini, shredded, packed into cup, not drained
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease well or paper-line 12 muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and lemon peel.
3. Stir in nuts and fruit.
4. In a small bowl, combine milk, oil and eggs until blended.
5. Pour into flour mixture; add zucchini, stirring just until moistened.
6. Spoon into muffin cups.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan.
8. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm muffins.
Yield 12 muffins.