I really am enjoying being a member of the Dinner Divas. This recipe was chosen by Carrie at Carrie in the Kitchen. The four chosen recipes for the month definitely help make menu planning for the week easier! This month Grilled Chicken Pesto Farfalle was chosen from Cooking Light. Cooking Light has still yet to fail me! I will make this recipe again but next time I will use different pasta, like penne. One of the few things that I did differently was the pesto. I had previously frozen pesto into ice cubes so instead of using store bought pesto I used 3 cubes of pesto. For some reason my bow tie pasta totally fell apart when it was boiling. I suppose that could be because I cooked it for 14 minutes, 2 less might be a better idea for the future. Good choice on this recipe! My changes are below in red. The original recipe says that it makes enough for 10 servings but that was going to be too much for just my husband and I so I halved the pasta and a few other ingredients. Enjoy!
Grilled Chicken and Pesto Farfalle
source: Cooking Light
- 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves ( I used 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 20 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta) (I used 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.5-ounce) jar commercial pesto (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half (I used 1% milk)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 cups halved grape tomatoes (about 2 pints)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (I omitted)
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until done, turning after 6 minutes. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces; keep warm. I grilled in a frying pan
3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Place pasta in large bowl.
4. Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in pesto. Gradually add remaining 1 cup milk and half-and-half, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 8 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 cup cheese; stir until cheese melts.
5. Add chicken and sauce to pasta, tossing well to coat. Add tomatoes and basil; toss gently. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Serve immediately.