It’s that time again! Dinner Diva recipe time is here. This months recipe was chosen by Julie at Jewels in the Kitchen. Go check out her blog! When I saw the choices for this month I was excited to see something that I could bring to the dinner party that Nate and I were going to this past weekend. This was my first cheesecake and I must say it was a great first cheesecake to try out. I loved it and it was quite well received.
The only minor snafu that I had with the recipe was how to decide if the center was done. Since I have never made a cheesecake before I didn’t have much to go on. I’ve eaten cheesecake but I was still stumped!! So I did what anyone does when they have a cooking/baking question. I called my mom!! Sadly, she didn’t know how to tell if the center was done either but she thought it would be similar to a pumpkin pie so she suggested putting a knife in the center and seeing if it comes out clean. I did that a few times with no success after giving the cheesecake several more minutes. So my next idea was to consult the all know Internet!! Several sites said to use the knife method but one said to insert a thermometer and the temperature should reach 160 to 165 degrees. Eureka! That worked!
I pretty much followed the recipe to a T with the exception of the way it instructs you to decorate the top of the cheesecake with the pecans. I can’t wait to make this recipe again! These pictures were taken after the party because I forgot my camera. I actually took the pictures a few days later and the cake still tastes great. I confess that I had to clean up the pan a bit but it was worth it!!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 12 pecan halves
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Reserve 3/4 cup of apple pie filling and set aside.
- Spoon remaining pie filling into crust. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth then add eggs and mix well. Pour over apple filling in crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until center is set. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Mix reserved apple filling and caramel topping in a small saucepan. Heat for about 1 minute. Arrange apple slices around outside edge of cheesecake. Spread caramel sauce evenly over. Decorate with pecan halves around edge. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Chill until ready to serve.