As I mentioned in my previous post I was bringing rolls and Cranberry Jelly to Thanksgiving dinner. I saw this recipe on the Martha Stewart show and decided I would use that recipe! It was quite easy to put together. I was hoping that the jelly would set up a bit more but I think that was because I was thinking it would be like the Cranberry Jelly that comes out of a can. This was much tastier than the can stuff! On Martha’s show she warns that passing the mixture through a sieve will take some time and I couldn’t agree more! Give this recipe a try for your Christmas dinner. The bags of fresh cranberries freeze and thaw quite easily.
Cranberry Ginger Jelly
source: Martha Stewart
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 (12-ounce) bags fresh or frozen (thawed) cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- Combine cranberries, sugar, ginger, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Cover, and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until berries have burst and softened, about 10 minutes. Pass through a sieve into a medium bowl, pressing on solids with a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Let soften 5 minutes. Add cranberry mixture; stir until gelatin has dissolved. Refrigerate, in an airtight container, at least 4 hours (or up to 1 week).