I made this the past weekend and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite desserts. My husband and I went to my mom’s house to celebrate Christmas early with her because we will be celebrating Christmas with my husband’s family. Over the past ten years or so I have been in charge of dessert for Christmas Eve dinner. We always made a special dinner on that night. In the past when my grandparents were alive they would come over to my mom’s house for dinner and our traditional one gift opening that night. My mom usually made her fabulous Lasagna or sometimes a quiche. This year I talked her into the Lasagna!
This year I made this dessert. I have a confession though, I made this last year too but I thought it was so great that I had to make it again! Usually my mom makes a Cherry Pie for Christmas dinner dessert but since I wasn’t sure if there would be one at dessert this year I had to make something with cherries! I love cherries and I also love chocolate cake. As soon as I read this recipe in the Hershey Holiday Recipe cookbook (you know those little magazines tempting you at the cash register in the grocery store), I knew that I had to make it! I also love that this recipe has everyday normal ingredients that you most likely have around your house, even if you don’t have them you will find a use for them after you purchase them.
Enjoy! Happy Holidays!
Chocolate Cherry Upside-Down Cake
source: Hershey’s Kitchens
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract(optional)
- 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water and almond extract, if desired, until cornstarch is dissolved. Gently stir in pie filling; spread mixture evenly on bottom of ungreased 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add 1 cup water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; beat with spoon until batter is smooth and well blended. Pour batter evenly over cherries.
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; invert onto serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream. About 9 servings.